Originally, I was going to leave this one in Audrey's Quotes. However, I have so many thoughts on this one that I thought I would share the complete story. Audrey is a contemplative girl, those wheels in her head are always turning and she asks some of the best questions. Our best conversations tend to be in the car. She managed to catch me off guard today though. It went like this:
A. "Mom, why did God give Santa magic?"
M. "Well... um, you see, uhh, gulp... I guess so Santa could do nice things for all the kids on the earth."
A. "OK. How do Reindeer fly?"
M. "Magic"
A. "Why did Jesus give elves funny looking ears?"
M. "I don't know that one, Audrey."
A. "I wish I were an elf."
Help! I'm spiraling down a dark path of deceit and false doctrine! On the upside, I'm pretty sure I've secured one more year of Christmas magic and joy for a little girl. In that case, I may as well prepare some really good answers for anymore Santa related questions thrown my way. I'm counting on many more years of childhood imagination and a desire to believe in wonderful things like magic. I'm also crossing my fingers and praying that when the doubt does set in for Audrey she'll remember how fun believing was for her and she'll continue that for her younger siblings. So, for now I'm just going to keep telling myself it's ok and maybe even a good thing that I'm lying to my children.
I almost forgot! If anyone could find a scripture verse mentioning a jolly man with a twinkle in his eye, a belly that shook like a bowl full of jelly when he laughed, and maybe even something about flying in the night; it would be much appreciated!
3 comments:
Wow! That's young for those kind of questions. Good luck! As far as the scripture goes...I think I can help! I remember this from seminary and underlined it in my scriptures. Read Zechariah 1: 8, 18 (reindeer), 20 (elves), and 2:6 (north, Ho Ho)
Works for me. Thank you Zechariah!
Maybe at Christmas time you can let her give secret gifts like Santa does so when she realizes he's not real, you can make the correlation that it's the spirit of what he does that's important.
Those scriptures were awesome.
Post a Comment