Lightning Fingers Lexi, Little Sticky Fingers, Miss Five Finger Discount.
The nicknames are endless and describe this deceiving little cherub face to a T. It started out about a year ago when I would let this little girl stand in line with me at the grocery store instead of making her sit in the cart. All of that yummy candy was all at her reach, but too difficult to open with her little chubby fingers. But the Rolos, those she could open all by herself. Not only was the foil easily torn off, but it was such a pretty sparkly gold color. I don't know how many times I would turn around from emptying the cart onto the conveyor, only to find chocolate drool running down Lexi's face and her jaws chomping away on that delicious caramel. I would sigh and put the last third of the roll with the rest of our groceries. Most of the time the clerk would just smile at us and helpfully say "Rolos are buy one get one free today!" Darn her! Now I needed my own pack of Rolos!
Lexi has since gone through rigorous counseling and therapy (some timeout and having to tell Daddy what she had done.) We thought our little girl had changed her ways and we were so proud of her. Until, this weekend when I found a big road map tucked under Lexi's booster seat in the car. I asked her about it and she proudly told me she got it at the store. I don't know how I missed this one, it was one of the big fold out maps. I looked it over and found a $4.95 sticker on it. I wasn't about to spend $5 on a map I didn't need. I do wonder what need Lexi thought she had for this particular map.
This morning I explained to Lexi that she had to take the map back to the store and apologize to the clerk. So, I walked her into the store and she did just what I asked. Even though I've been a bit frustrated with her little hobby, I was very proud of Lexi for doing just what I had asked. I know it wasn't easy for her (I even had knots in my stomach) but she did it without tears or a tantrum and promised she would never steal again.
I'm still going to watch this little one like a hawk, though. You know how quickly they escalate from candy to grand theft auto! Hmmm... Maybe that does explain the map. Perhaps a little road trip was in the works with a few preschool friends. If that's the case I really need to make sure she knows what to look for. Mommy does have a certain Honda Pilot EX-L she's been wanting for quite a while now.
4 comments:
No wonder she gets away with it with a face that cute! On the bright side, she's providing you with many great learning opportunities :) Hopefully that Honda Pilot EX-L isn't the one we just bought. If it comes up missing, I'll know who to blame :)
I'll try to keep her away from your side of town. I saw your new car on your blog and I was jealous!
Like Grandma Sam says, it's a good thing Tim's in the line of work that he is. Lexi is going to make life very interesting for you guys.
Those are Jameson 's favorite too. Dang candy by the registers.
Post a Comment